Providing Creative Solutions For Your Legal Needs

My ex-spouse pays me spousal support. Do I have to pay taxes on these payments?

On Behalf of | Oct 9, 2023 | Firm News

Yes.  Spousal support is considered taxable income for the payee, and therefore is tax deductible for the payer.  Child support, however, is not considered to be income and is therefore not taxed, nor is it tax deductible.